Freelance Writer And Editor (2006 – present)
- Write at least one story a month as contributing editor for Reader’s Digest. Specialize in “secrets” stories, such as “50 Secrets a Pilot Won’t Tell You.”
- Report and write stories health and parenting stories for a variety of national print publications, including Parents, Parenting, Real Simple and More.
- Write articles about personal finance for http://www.creditcards.com, Wells Fargo magazines and websites, WalMart magazine and Thrivent magazine.
- Won two min (www.minonline.com) how to/instructional awards in 2010 for articles in Parenting magazine: “Yes, you can sleep in” and “Camp Momawanda.”
- Won a bronze National Health Information Award in in 2014 for Parents magazine article “Period Problems” and a silver award in 2010 for Parents article: “Whoops, we’re having a baby.”
The Charlotte Observer (March 1999 – March 2009)
- Assistant Metro Editor – supervised reporters, edited stories and oversaw all aspects of the newspaper’s local section. July 2006 – March 2009.
- Reporter – consistently wrote high impact, front-page stories during eight years as a metro reporter. Covered a variety of beats including city hall, higher education, and growth and development. Investigated local animal shelters in an award-winning series that prompted change at the state and local level. Also uncovered the unethical activities of a suburban school board member that prompted his resignation. March 1999-April 2006.
MomsCharlotte.com (April-August 2008)
- Administrator – Selected from dozens of applicants to co-launch The Charlotte Observer‘s website for moms. Helped design the site, loaded it with daily content, moderated forums and managed bloggers. The site had more than 150,000 page views its first month, far surpassing the industry norm and the newspaper’s expectations.
The Philadelphia Inquirer
- Correspondent – covered politics, development, crime and education in four municipalities in Philadelphia’s New Jersey suburbs. May 1997-March 1999.
The Associated Press
- General Assignment Reporter – reported and edited print and broadcast stories in the AP’s Richmond, Va. bureau. Sept. 1996-May 1997.
- Interned at Time Magazine, the Richmond Times-Dispatch and The Arizona Republic during the summer months while I was in college. 1993-1996.
University of Notre Dame
- Majored in political science and American studies, graduated May 1996, cum laude.
- Completed Georgetown University’s Institute of Political Journalism summer program
- Served as editor in chief of Scholastic Magazine, the university’s weekly news and feature magazine.
- North Carolina Press Association second place award for public service, 2003.
- Charlotte Observer’s quarterly Star award for performance deserving of recognition.
- Genesis Award for best newspaper article or series of articles, 2003.
- Green-Rossiter third place award for distinguished work in higher education, 2001.
- Virginia Press Association First Place Award for General News Writing, 1995